News - First Comic - Latest Comic - Archive - Add To Favorites - RSS

Sike the Guinea Pig

June 19th, 2015, 1:34 am

Average Rating: 5.00

<< First < Previous Next > Most Recent >>

Creator's Comments

Advertisement,

October 21st, 2019, 2:46 pm

Reply

Viewer's Thoughts

Dregan,

June 19th, 2015, 8:04 am

Reply

Hey-hey, it's a showcase, for showcasing things! As such, just posting sprites and such is absoloutely part of the intention.
Not gonna be around for too long, so can't type up a big in-depth criticism, but a couple of things do come to mind;
One is that at the moment the character doesn't exactly look like a guinea pig. Obviously in Sonic-style, that sorta thing can be hard, and generally speaking about 80% of characters won't look like their species, and the other 20% are hedgehogs. Still a couple of things can be done to make it seem closer to the intended species - for example, guinea pigs are generally... well, quite furry all over, bar the feet, so you may wanna consider adding it a little more of the arms and body. They also have quite a distinctive pink nose. It's small things like that which can really more-easily communicate species.
I also note a small couple of red spots at the top of the chest/the neck. Not 100% sure what that's meant to be - bra poking through the tap maybe? Either way... dddon't use red. You have a character of primarily darkened browns and blues - the red stands out as a real contrast and sorta throws off the colour-balance of the design. I'd suggest switching it for a blue - maybe have it match the colour on the quiff?

Sike,

June 19th, 2015, 11:04 pm

Reply

@Dregan: So uhm... I ended up with this http://prntscr.com/7j2ubw

The arms, muzzle and such were supposed to be fur, but I guess they did kinda look like skin, so I changed the color to something more similar to the other brown. I also added black areas around the eyes in order to further reflect the multi colored fur that guinea pigs usually have. I also changed the red to white, since blue was kind of hard to notice at normal size. I didn't change the nose color though, simply because it didn't look right pink.

In other words I tried alot of stuff like changing the arms to white or the other brown color or trying to make the arms look more fluffy, but none of it worked, so I ended up barely changing anything, which makes me feel kinda jerkish since it looks like I just ignored you in the end.

Also sorry for long text

Syogren,

June 22nd, 2015, 11:07 am

Reply

...huh. For something you claim to not do all that often, it really doesn't look that bad at all. I guess I'll critique the version you put in the comments, since that one's the more recent.

I agree with what Dregan said about the red, so I'm glad you fixed it. Hm...I'm not really sure how to critique design, so I guess I'll stick with a couple of minor suggestions.

Anyway, the shading on the arm closer to us feels kinda flat. I'd recommend adding some shading to the right side of the front arm...our right, I mean, not the character's. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what it would look like, and maybe there's a reason you didn't do it in the first place. I myself am not the best at shading, so sometimes it's difficult for me to figure out how to fix the issues I find. Regardless, I feel like something there needs to be fixed.

This next part isn't so much a critique so much as it is a question: on that top hair bang thing right above her face, is the blue an extra thing, or is it part of the same structure as the one that sticks straight up? If it's the former, I recommend adding an outline to the top of the blue thing to make it more obvious that it's separate. If not, I feel like the border with the dark brown is too straight for what looks like a curved structure.

That's all I can come up with at the moment. Where's your light source, by the way? Sonic Advance sprites generally have them at the top right for characters facing right, and it looks like that's true for your character too. Yet the shading for the dark brown, main fur color makes it look like it's coming from the top left.

Sike,

June 22nd, 2015, 12:57 pm

Reply

@Syogren: http://prntscr.com/7k105c would this be any better?

The dark brown was probably like that because I have no sense of light source on anything I make. Oops. I also fixed the arm and blue highlight on the upper bang

Syogren,

June 22nd, 2015, 5:47 pm

Reply

@Sike: The arm looks much better now, as does the highlight. Yeah, I'm not sure how you'd fix the dark brown, sadly. Sorry. Looks a little better at the very least.

Post A Comment